Smoke detectors save lives!

Lucinda Wood
8th March 2018 in Know How

Ensuring our family members are safe and well is a priority for all of us, and with life being full of surprises, it’s usually always at the back of our minds. One careless moment can turn our world upside down. So in our story today, we’re looking at how a small moment flipped Thomas’ life by 180 degrees.  

It was just past 10 o’clock on a Sunday morning. Clutching two paper bags full of pastries, Thomas hurriedly opened the front door and closed it quickly behind him to escape the biting cold. He was excited that the newest member of the family, Svenja, would be joining them for their first Sunday breakfast as a family of four.

While his partner, Verena, set the table, Thomas took care of the stove. As the flames flickered behind the glass, his mind wandered briefly. He wondered what it would be like if those flames were suddenly outside the stove and raging through the house in the form of a fire.

Granted, Thomas has never been a fan of smoke detectors; he just couldn’t see their benefits. He felt that if a fire were ever to break out, he’d certainly detect it sooner than a smoke detector. He also repeatedly questioned the accuracy of such a detector.

But with every news report and article about house fires he saw, the more the idea stuck in his mind. He found himself thinking about his family and asking “What if…” and if the worst should happen, how he’d never forgive himself for not taking every precaution.  

Another look at the blazing fire, then at his girlfriend and children – and the decision was made. Despite his internal skepticism, Thomas finally decided to equip his home with smoke detectors.

Bought, connected, integrated into the smart home, ready. That was easy. The expectation of numerous annoying false alarms was luckily not fulfilled. Perhaps I have been too skeptical, Thomas thought to himself.

Two weeks later, Thomas again found himself scuttling home amidst the cold weather, pastries and fresh bread in hand, looking forward to getting back into the warm.

The now 17-day-old Svenja slept soundly, nestled in her green, fleece blanket. In order not to wake her, Thomas left the cot in the adjoining living room, thinking to himself that the warmth of the nearby stove would keep her snuggly and warm in the land of Nod…

Bought, connected, integrated into the smart home, ready. That was easy. The expectation of numerous annoying false alarms luckily not fulfilled. Perhaps I have been too skeptical, Thomas thought to himself.

Two weeks later, Thomas again found himself scuttling home amidst the cold weather, pastries and fresh bread in hand, looking forward to getting back into the warm.

The now 17-day-old Svenja slept soundly, nestled in her green, fleece blanket. In order not to wake her, Thomas left the cot in the adjoining living room, thinking to himself that the warmth of the nearby stove would keep her snuggly and warm in the land of Nod…

As Thomas was cheerfully taking a bite of his jam roll, there came a sudden shrill sound from next door. At first, he didn’t recognise the sound, but when his phone began to ring, he knew immediately. Fire alarm. A push notification: fire in the living room. Thomas’ heart stopped for a brief moment, before he sprinted to the living room.

A quick glance around the room revealed the cause of the alarm. Thomas could not believe his eyes. The corner of Svenja’s green fleece blanket was alight.

Instinctively, Thomas immediately grabbed Svenja and passed her to Verena, who had also come running into the room.

Fortunately, only one corner of the blanket had caught fire, so Thomas quickly stifled the flames. The only logical answer he had to as to “why” this happened was that the cot was too close to the stove. A corner of the blanket had been too close the stove and it had caught fire.

When the fire was extinguished and the little one was safe, everyone was able to breathe again, although both Thomas and Verena were very shaken. Verena took their other child by the hand, and holding Svenja tight to her chest, went back to the kitchen.

Instinctively, Thomas immediately grabbed Svenja and passed her to Verena, who had also come running into the room.

Fortunately, only one corner of the blanket had caught fire, so Thomas quickly stifled the flames. The only logical answer he had to as to “why” this happened was that the cot was too close to the stove. A corner of the blanket had been too close the stove and it had caught fire

When the fire was extinguished and the little one was safe, everyone was able to breathe again, although both Thomas and Verena were very shaken. Verena took their other child by the hand, and holding Svenja tight to her chest, went back to the kitchen.

But Thomas stayed in the living room for a while, staring again at the stove. He thought of sitting in exactly the same place two weeks ago, thinking about the possibilities, and not imagining for one moment that it might ever become reality, let alone so soon after his first thought.

He was immensely grateful that he asked himself this one “what if” question two weeks ago and gone with his instinct to install the smoke detectors. The tragedy that could have unfolded otherwise doesn’t bear thinking about, and he promised himself never to leave such important things to chance again.

Don’t leave anything to chance!

Smoke detectors save lives. As our little story proves, it’s not just a phrase, but reality. You should always err on the side of caution, and take steps where you can to protect yourself from dangers within your home. Our smoke detector, networked with your home, ensures maximum safety and reliability.  

Experience smart home security live

Come and discover the power of the Loxone Smart Home. Enjoy a demonstration of our smart security system, as well as lighting, heating, blind and audio control. Book your free place today by clicking the button below.